On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:49:52PM -0500, J. David Blackstone wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:34:55PM -0500, J. David Blackstone wrote:
> >
> > Presumably the discarding will be heralded with an announcement on the
> > mailing list, as well as a note to the maintainer.  The interested
> > parties should see this and yell.
>
>   Just wanted to get that stated explicitly.  I hope "heralded" gives
> enough time to those of us who would like to adopt orphaned ideas.

I just want to state for the record that I won't be taking any
unilateral action on orphaned RFCs.

My current thinking is identifying RFCs that have had no activity
in 3+ weeks, mailing the maintainer and relevant WG asking for a status
update.  If there is no update and no interest in the RFC, that RFC
is deemed "orphaned" after one week.  If the maintainer doesn't
say anything and a new champion is found, then maintenance switches
to the new champion.

If the original maintainer says *anything at all* about the RFC
(including private email), then nothing happens (absent updates).

Finally, I'd like to point out that no WGC seems receptive to the
idea of instituting a Last Call process, so this discussion is pretty
much moot.  My feeling is that it's up to the WGC to decide how the
last call process works, and my outline above is merely a suggestion.

Z.