On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 02:15:25PM +1100, iain truskett wrote:
> * Daniel Chetlin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [29 Sep 2000 14:10]:
> > My RFC is predicated on the notion that perl5 will look enough like
> > perl6 that we won't have to rewrite all of the docs, and thus
> > there's plenty to be done as of now. With all of these people
> > flurrying about in excitement about the "community rewrite", it
> > seems to me that harnessing their interest for something other than
> > talking would be good.
>
> In which case it may be more profitable to organise the document
> working group independently from the perl6 business.
>
> What I mean is: have a general [EMAIL PROTECTED] type list (my memory
> is failing me in its attempts to recollect whether we have an
> appropriate list at present) and start work on perl5 stuff now.

There is a documentation list on perl.org; the last message posted
to it was in July and it appears to be mostly for working on
`Picking Up Perl'.

> Work on perl6 stuff as it comes.
>
> In other words: I believe this RFC should be withdrawn from being a
> Perl6 RFC and changed to being a general Perl community RFC.

The problem I see with that is that I don't think we'll garner much
enthusiasm. My idea was to go advertising it as a chance to contribute
to Perl6, and then just stealthily put the updates into Perl5 as well.

> Find out who is in charge of the current documentation and work
> with them?

That would be Tom. I asked him in private email how he felt about this,
as I didn't want to go over his head. He expressed concern about
"hodgepodge editing". And I'm inclined to agree with that worry. But I
don't think that we have much choice -- eventually, people are going to
have to write documentation, and it's not likely to miraculously become
less hodgepodge.

-dlc