* Amir E. Aharoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-09-17 16:25]:
> WordPress is an example of a webserver software tool that does
> try to produce standard XHTML. It does it by default and very
> few bloggers who use it care about it or, for that matter,
> notice it.

Psh, whatever. Everyone serves their XHTML as `text/html`, in
which case no browser cares about the fact that it is supposedly
XML, and instead uses the tagsoup parser. Almost everyone who
thinks they’re serving XHTML is actually serving funny-looking
HTML (and that is broken according to SGML rules). Sites which
actually serve their markup as `application/xhtml+xml` are very
rare, not least because the MSFT browser doesn’t support the MIME
type. Many of those who do so, actually serve the *same* markup
as `text/html` to IE and as `application/xhtml+xml` to modern
browsers – which is very dumb for many reasons (that I can
expound on at request).

I have reluctantly had to realise that unless you need to embed
SVG, MathML or other XML vocabularies, choosing XHTML is a stupid
idea.

* Aankhen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-09-17 21:00]:
> XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 offer no practical benefits over HTML, but
> tangible disadvantages.

To be fair, XHTML does let you embed MathML and SVG (as well as
XForms, pending browser support) in your markup, which is a great
boon where applicable. But that’s the only benefit XHTML provides
as of yet.

> If the XHTML produced by the module adheres to the W3C
> standard, there won't be any elements that only work in certain
> browsers (with the exception of <abbr>... no others I can think
> of offhand).

Plenty. IE6 doesn’t understand `q`, off the top of my head. I
know there are several more, plus a few that *no* browser
supports. On top of this, roughly 80% (or so it sometimes feels)
of the useful attributes defined in HTML do not have any tangible
browser support (such as `cite` on `blockquote`/`q`, or
`datetime` on `ins`/`del`).

Regards,