On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:17:30AM -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> I have a Perl 5 module called Every which provides, simply,
>
> every(5); # true on invocation 5, 10, etc.
> every(seconds => 5); # true at 5, 10, etc. seconds
>
> It's really nice in endless loops, logging, etc.  I'd like to translate
> it to Perl 6 (using Rakudo specifically).
>
> Its current implementation requires Devel::Opcode because it needs to
> know what location is getting called again and again.
>
> Generally for Perl 6, is there a simple way to make Every obsolete by
> using built-ins?  I'd love that but haven't seen anything in the
> language that would help.

I suspect something like CALLER::<$?FILE> and CALLER::<$?LINE>  might
eventually do what you want -- they would at least get to a unique
line within the calling.  CALLER:: and $?FILE and $?LINE are not
yet implemented in Rakudo, but I suspect the language specification
has sufficient features to eventually make a clean implementation a
possibility.

Pm