On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 07:00:11AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> Given so many handy methods for built-in classes, it would be nice to have
> a couple of more for some, for instance:
>
> IO:Path.stemname
>   Like basename except any suffix is removed

Hmm, this sounds like a nice idea on a first glance, but then again,
can you tell me exactly what situations would that be useful for?
Is it for compressed files (e.g. .zip vs .tar.gz) or MS-DOS/Windows
executables (.com, .exe, .bat), or something else?
When I strip filename extensions, I usually know exactly what extensions
I want to strip - e.g. ".conf" or ".pl" or something like that.  There
are very, very rare cases when any extension should be stripped - and
there's also a problem with that.

You see, I was kind of surprised many years ago when I first met
somebody who routinely used a dot as a word separator in filenames -
a file that I would've called "yearly-report.txt" or "YearlyReport.txt",
he would call "yearly.report.txt".  Over the years after that, I
stumbled into many other people who do that - not a majority, certainly,
but, well, many people indeed.

So a function that would remove *any* filename extensions, that is,
anything after and including the first dot, would produce really weird
results if applied to filenames created by such people.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net r...@freebsd.org p...@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13