On 03/21/2017 02:14 AM, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
On 21 Mar 2017, at 10:00, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:
on this command:

perl6 -e 'my @foo = <a b c d e f g>; @foo.splice(0,3); say @foo;'

Are you actually moving one set up data into another set's
element/slot/index, or are you just rearranging the pointers
to each element?

How is that important?

If you want to know what is faster: 3x shift or 1x splice, benchmark!   :-)

Liz

Hi Liz,

I do not know if it is important at all.

I am going to start coding on a first in, last out
log file.  It will probably be in excess to 1000
lines.  I will be reading the log file into an array.

When I hit 1000 elements (strings) in the array, I
want to start removing things from the beginning of
the array as I start adding things to the end of
the array.

I don't want to be moving 999 strings from one
element to the prior element.

This is why I wanted to know what you were actually
doing at the code level.  It would be sweet if all
you are doing is changing the pointer, not moving
the data.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.