On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 9/28/18 10:42 AM, Curt Tilmes wrote:
> > Indeed we do, we have a special value just for that -- Inf or ∞.
>
> Inf or ∞ still means (to me) a number too large to represent.
> But, I can't think of another way to say "all of them".

So if I was to ask you what limit I should use to make an iterator that
created all of the numbers?

I could set the limit at 2:  1..2 and you would get 2 numbers.
I could set the limit at 1000: 1..1000 and you would get 1000 numbers.

If you wanted all the numbers, where would you stop?  What limit would you
use?

We use ∞  :   Try this   .say for 1..∞
It will give you all the numbers starting with 1 that Perl is capable of
making (it may take a while...)

Exactly the same for .words.

You can say .words(2) and you get at most 2 words, the limit is 2.
You can say .words(1000) and you get at most 1000 words, the limit is 1000.
(Note you can get less that 1000 -- it isn't saying how many words, it
isn't a count.  It is a limit.  it is setting the limit it won't go past.)

If you don't want it to stop, you say .words(∞) or .words(Inf), or, since
an infinite limit is the default, just .words() or .words.
and it won't stop no matter how many it has already given you until it
reaches the end.

Curt