> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
> <perl6-users@perl.org <mailto:perl6-users@perl.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/14/18 3:08 AM, Ralph Mellor wrote:
>      > This code works fine:
>      >
>      > spurt 'foo', 'bar';
>      > my Str $ReturnStr = "";
>      > $ReturnStr = 'foo'.IO.open.slurp-rest: enc => 'utf8-c8';
>      > say $ReturnStr; # bar
>
>     Try it with my layout:
>
>          $ReturnStr = $$proc.out.slurp-rest( enc => 'utf8-c8' );

On 10/14/18 4:35 AM, Ralph Mellor wrote:
I see no significant difference beyond the inside of your
proc and the outside of the code you've shown.

The extra `$` in `$$proc` is redundant.

(I don't understand why you have it.)

The `(...)` is the same as my `: ...`.

It can wait until you switch to `slurp`.

I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.

We can pick things up from there.

Catch ya later.

--
raiph

Hi Raiph,

There was a bug -- now fixed -- where the order that
your read back stdin and stderr affected things.  The
guys on the chat line zeroed in on it for me.  My
resulting code what just taken from what they recommended.

At the time, coming from perl5 ($$ is a reference pointer),
I just thought it was some kind of hook or pointer into
the operating system. Didn't think much of it.  Was just
glad I finally got it to work.

:-)

-T

--