Radhakrishnan,

I would be considered a non-developer and more of a system admin/architect.
I’ve used Perl 4/5 since the 1990s with success.  My opinion of Python is not
particularly high, except that it is ubiquitous (like Perl 5).  Ruby was not
unpleasant.  I’ve sampled a few others, but none were particularly fantastic
for my general scripting purposes.

I consider Raku<https://raku.org/> (formally renamed from “Perl 6” Oct 2019) as
a modern alternative to Perl 5.  All of my operating system scripts are now in
implemented in Raku.

I did frequently wince at some of the constructs that I had to put together in
Perl.  I saw myself writing line noise and write-only scripts/modules, but I
really didn’t have alternatives in Perl.  I have yet to experience any regret
with coding Raku.  Raku appears to me to be the most well-thought-out language
I’ve ever experienced.  I make basic & intermediate programming constructs, and
the deeper I go, the more satisfying the coding experience.  I am confident
that I can make reusable code in Raku that will be maintainable in 20 years.
The Raku coding experience to me is like that of a 12-year-old playing the
latest video game on a 90” 16K screen.  That’s just how it is.  I don’t mean to
cheerlead.  I’m sincere.  It promotes “flow”, which encourages me to learn and
produce more.  Perl had that “flow” characteristic too, and Raku inherited it.

The first release was Christmas 2015, launching with a small
ecosystem<https://modules.raku.org/>.  Now it is growing with many useful
modules (Web Services, DevOps, etc.).  The community is active, very patient,
civil, and spot-on-helpful.

Raku is a big language.  I’m really hoping one or more of the superstars of
Raku will publish “Idiomatic Raku: Parallelism, Concurrency, & Asynchrony”,
“Idiomatic Raku: This”, “Idiomatic Raku: That”, etc.  A big language like this
would benefit from more guidance.  Random blogs regularly publish brilliant
Raku ideas, but it is a challenge to catalog/archive them.  I do hope for more
expert knowledge sharing.

I think Larry Wall’s ambition was to make a “100 year” language.  Personally I
can see that in Raku (until Quantum perhaps).  Raku has legs.  It probably
isn’t positioned for the popularity contests of today, but I think that it has
much more promise than people are aware of.

Try building a website or a web service in Cro<https://cro.services/> to see
the utility of Raku first hand.

Mark