From: George Michaelson [mailto:g...@algebras.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:01 PM
To: Peter Saint-Andre - Filament <pe...@filament.com>
Cc: perpass@ietf.org; Dave Thaler <dtha...@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [perpass] privacy implications of UUIDs for IoT devices

As an example the IEEE MAC registry is really only to provide uniqueness, but
its been demonstrated to act as a passive-capture mechanism to identify
probable host architecture from on-the-wire sniffs. This then leads directly
to: "If its a Dell, then I know the iDrac default password so I can attempt to
see if this is a badly configured Dell which has iDrac IPMI on the host
address" and like attacks.

Unique identifiers are being used by the cellular provider to offer price
differentiated service to people on the same basic substrate.
Which is a poshed-up way of saying you can get a SIM which is dataplan for an
iPad but if you put it in your phone you are in breach of contract over the use
of that SIM. I am not personally a fan of this legalism, but it is legal, and
it is an ism.

I think there is a fundamental tension between baked in uniqueness,
probabalistic uniqueness (think ULA) and non-unique state in Layer-2 and Layer-3

-G