The Eddystone ephemeral identifier for BLE work from Google may be of
interest to some here (doesn't solve cases of unknown neighbors):
https://developers.google.com/beacons/eddystone-eid

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Christian Huitema <huit...@huitema.net>
wrote:

> On Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:58 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

> > I'd love to find a way to send the identifier only to an authorized
> operator,
> > which is resistant to an active MITM, given that the new device (the
> pledge)
> > doesn't know who the authorized operator is yet.
>
> We are looking at that in the pairing draft in DNSSD
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaiser-dnssd-pairing-00). The
> hypothesis
> is that the two paired devices can display a short authentication string,
> e.g. 6-7 digits. Given that, we can establish a TLS connection without
> prior
> credentials between the two parties, with a probability 99.9999% that any
> MITM attempt will be detected. But the two parties have to be able to "see"
> the string display on the other device and compare it to the local one.
> ZRTP
> uses the same algorithm to detect MITM in audio connection, probably
> assuming that the parties will read the string over the audio channel and
> that the MITM cannot really rework the audio in real time.
>
> There is another trick, used in the privacy extensions to DNS-SD
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huitema-dnssd-privacy-02). Use TLS PSK,
> or better yet TLS/ECDH/PSK. Instead of PSK ID, send a puzzle that can only
> be solved by parties knowing the PSK, e.g. nonce + hash (nonce, PSK). That
> guarantees connection without MITM, and also without disclosure of the
> identities to third parties. Problem, it scales as O(number of PSK) known
> by
> the server. We could probably devse an extension of that using public key
> technology.
>
> -- Christian Huitema

Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: j...@cdt.org, p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

Tech Prom, CDT's Annual Dinner, is April 20, 2017!
https://cdt.org/annual-dinner