Dear Behnam,

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes, I was thinking of a special keyboard for so-called expert users but
including also people who have an occasional need to switch from one
language to the other but do not want to learn a new keyboard layout (in
this aspect, I fully agree with your observation that few people can be
expected to learn new keyboard layouts; this is even true for expert users!)

I am about to create a similar keyboard solution for Extended Cyrillic which
includes many Turkic languages that are nowadays also (or again) written
using the Arabic alphabet. And I know that one of the major obstacles of
"switching back" is that people are used to the Cyrillic keyboard layout,
which would make it almost mandatory that input of characters of the Arabic
alphabet is done via the customary keyboard layout, i.e. using Cyrillic
"phonetic" approximations for Arabic characters. So at least in this
particular area of our globe there should be sufficient need for a keyboard
that can produce the local language (using the Arabic alphabet), plus
Arabic, plus Persian.

As to switching keyboards: This will always be the default. But clever
keyboard designers like to offer built-in options for *occasional use* (e.g.
the new ISIRI keyboard for Arabic, or Keyboard US-International featuring
simple mnemonic combinations to create all characters used by Western
European languages, including accented characters). I think that there is
always a certain need for such solutions in multilingual areas. The Greater
EU is such a sample, as there is a growing need to type multilingual
documents, or at least documents including personal or geographic names from
several member states, which makes it mandatory to create a unified keyboard
layout.

Best regards,

Peter