This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.

There are also electronic "ears" used in auto (car) repairs, but, of
course, if the insect isn't crawling and scratching and eating, then you
will not hear much at all as Cathy already pointed out.
Can you tell us which "powderpost" beetle you are dealing with?

> Hi Katie
>
> I've used it - but don't recommend it because it only works if the larvae
> are actively feeding - otherwise they could be present, but you would hear
> nothing.
>
> Cathy
>

> In a message dated 5/21/2010 2:12:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> kfis...@glenbow.org writes:
>

> Hi,
> My name is Katie Fisher and I’m the new Pest Control  Technician at the
> Glenbow Museum. I just wanted to ask a somewhat out-there  question
> regarding
> the detection of wood borers… this museum has been battling  Powderpost
> Beetles for quite a while. Every 5 or so years a new wave will  appear, a
> large-scale treatment process will happen (phosphene), but it just
> doesn’t seem to
> be effective in getting rid of the Powderpost population.
> Since it takes years for them to exit the wood, I feel like  I’m
> somewhat
> just twiddling my thumbs in the meantime, wondering if the last  treatment
> did the trick. A friend suggested that I might be able to use a
> stethoscope
> to hear the larva inside the wood… does anyone do this, to detect
> woodborers? Does anyone think it would be at all effective in hearing
> them?
> Cheers,
> Katie
> Katie  Fisher
> Pest  Control Technician
> Glenbow  Museum
> 130-9th  Avenue S.E.
> Calgary,  Alberta T2G 0P3
> Tel  (403) 268-4235
> Fax  (403) 265-9769
>

> Catharine Hawks
> Conservator
> 2419 Barbour Road
> Falls Church  VA 22043-3026 USA
> t/f 703.876.9272
> mobile  703.200.4370

Louis N. Sorkin, B.C.E.
Entomology Section
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192

phone: 212-769-5613
fax: 212-769-5277
email: sor...@amnh.org

The New York Entomological Society, Inc.
email: n...@amnh.org
web: www.nyentsoc.org
Online journal from 2001 forward
www.BioOne.org