Argon is a by product of collecting nitrogen, no extra cost involved. Yes,
nitrogen is used most often based on cost and easier to contain in a
chamber.  Nitrogen does not penetrate as well as argon, look at your periodic
table for  weights. Use your FTIR to test argon verses nitrogen on real Art
objects. You will be surprised.

Nitrogen chambers just like yours were being made by Rentokil long  before
you were involved 10 years ago. Nitrogen was used during the Second World
War to kill insects and rodents in food sources. There are some references
dating to 1890's in Australia using nitrogen for insects. It was a by product
in  ice making then. Rentokil followed Bob Koestler lectures before
creating  their nitrogen generator system. Look back at the research papers in
the
mid 1980's early 1990's full of information in the beginning years
I have been working with anoxic chambers for 20+ years some of those  years
in a Conservation department at a major museum.

Why is the United State Constitution the most important document in our
history stored under argon not nitrogen gas? Do your research learn about  the
differences between argon and nitrogen its an interesting trip. I have
about  5 years into the comparison still learning.

Bill
Art Care International

In a message dated 10/13/2010 10:53:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,