From: Kate Payne <avikate...@yahoo.com>
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm
Subject: Re: [pestlist] Fwd: Fumigating cabinets - bug infestation

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, all, this has gotten quite interesting.   I
think for some of us who have our own set-ups going, we've found that companies
who will rent cylinders of nitrogen and/or argon at the purity required for
anoxic treatments generally charge more for argon cylinder rentals ($10-$20
more per cylinder, if I'm remembering correctly).   It would be fascinating to
know more (from a mycologist's perspective) about fungal issues nitrogen vs.
argon, but it would seem in practice that high humidity with the right amount
of warmth seem to be greater factors in terms of fungal spores developing into
a full fledged fungal infestation.

I think it's important to find a common ground to provide information and
access to pest eradication methods for conservation professionals everywhere.
Some will find it more feasible to work with nitrogen, some with argon, some
with carbon dioxide, and some on a small scale might find it best to work with
oxygen scavengers.   Rather than watch the discussion devolve into a
competition between commercial providers, perhaps we'd best look to
publications like this:
Inert Gases in the Control of Museum Insect Pests
http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications/pdf_publications/inertgases.pdf
and realize that there are merits in each of the different methods and plenty
of room for research and growth.   I've also attached the research article that
Steve Pine referenced, just in case anyone was unable to access the .pdf online.

With a bit of ingenuity, anyone can create an anoxic treatment set-up.
Additionally there are temperature methods (as mentioned in a previous comment
to this thread), and each conservation professional can do a bit of research
and assess what is right for their particular situation.

Happy bug-killing!
Cheers!
Kate Payne de Chavez