Re: Air movement in elevator shafts and pesticides

The movement of elevator cars inside elevator shafts does not typically
generate large pressure changes.  This is called the *piston effect.  *The
effect is essentially proportional to the speed of the movement and
inversely proportional to the number of cars in the shaft (bigger shafts
are less tight and there is a lot of air leakage at the doors). For
example, with a single elevator car traveling at a velocity of 400 ft. per
minute (fpm), there is a pressure differential of 0.08 inches of H2O. For a
double-car shaft, it is only 0.02 inches of H20.  The *piston effect* only
occurs during car movement.

The *stack *or *chimney effect*, however, can produce larger pressure
differentials that generate air movement to balance pressures.  The natural
buoyancy of warm air will cause it to rise, creating a negative pressure in
the lower areas and a greater pressure higher up.  This is enhanced in
heated buildings in the winter and partially reduced in air-conditioned
buildings in the summer (the *reverse stack effect*). The *stack effect* is
driven by building geometry and the laws of physics and *it never turns off.
*

The strength of the *stack effect* is influenced by numerous factor related
to building height (the height of the stack), interior and exterior
temperatures, location and types of openings and building envelope
tightness (air leakage), exterior wind velocity and direction, whether and
how the top of the elevator shaft is ventilated to the exterior (total
area, automatically dampered), etc.  For example, the stack-effect pressure
differentials published by ASHRAE range from 0.07 inches of H2O at 30 ft.
to 0.7 inches of H2O at 300 ft. Additionally, a 15 mph wind perpendicular
to a building can result in a wind-effect pressure differential from the
windward to leeward side of 0.12 inches of H2O.

The *stack effect* can have significant unintended consequences and can
lead to the movement of considerable volumes of air, moisture, smells, mold
spores, dust, etc. up the shaft and through other parts of the building
leading to the shaft. Interior conditions can be degraded with unexpected
drafts and surprising temperature and humidity conditions. Importantly,
condensation, with associated damage and biological growth, can occur in
unexpected locations due to such air movement.  Considerable amounts of
expensive heated air (energy) are lost up the stack this way as well, as
anyone who leaves their fireplace chimney flue open knows.  The
International Building Code and local building and fire codes have guidance
on elevator shaft ventilation requirements.  Some controversy remains about
the best ways to handle fire and smoke in elevator shafts.

Such air movement pathways may also provide access for vermin.  The
solutions include a deeper understanding of building science than is
prevalent, great attention to detail during the design phase, and
continuous supervision during the construction phase of a building.

Some ventilation is obviously essential.  However it needs to be properly
understood and controlled.  The importance of removing organic debris and
potential bio growth habitat during construction, during renovations,
during routine maintenance (which almost always needs to be better defined
and more extensive), and during operations cannot be overstressed.  Contractors
must be told that such debris cannot be left behind, particularly in crawl
spaces, under slabs, in attics, etc. and especially in the various
interstices of a building where it cannot be seen and or easily removed.  In
addition to encouraging damaging biological growth, such debris can be a
real fire hazard.

William C. S. Remsen, RA

Chief Preservation Architect

International Preservation Associates, Inc.

85 Strawberry Hill Street

Dover, MA 02030

508.561.1740

wremsen...@gmail.com