From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of Ingrid
A. Neuman
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:35 PM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net; pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: [pestlist] Floor covering in Directors Office

To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>

I am writing about the choice of floor covering requested by the Director's
Office at our art museum.  They are interested in installing either Sisal or
Wool sisal in the Directors office.  There will also be two or three
accessioned paintings exhibited in this space as well.  I am concerned about
the tastiness of both of these choices (sisal and wool sisal) to potential
critters.  The Director's office is in a different corridor than the art
collections however I am concerned about creating a potentially amiable
environment for pests in general within the museum.  What do people think?
Should I continue to advocate for synthetic flooring options which have
heretofore not been of interest unfortunately?  I do not believe that they will
be using a foam pad under the rug which is a good thing to avoid any potential
off-gassing of the foam.  I am also concerned that a fire retardant applied to
the sisal may be necessary from a safety point of view.  I will off course
follow-up with an exam of the MSDS sheet of the fire retardant.  But basically
my question has to do with whether or not a large expanse of sisal is of
concern to nearby collections on display.  I don't want to be a PEST!

Ingrid Neuman