From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of
Margaret Geiss-Mooney
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:12 AM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: RE: [pestlist] Floor covering in Directors Office

To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
Good evening, PestList’lers – I also point out that a large expanse of any
floor covering made from a natural fibre, whether sisal or wool, cotton, jute,
etc., will also absorb and hold a lot more moisture out of the environment
where it is installed than a floor covering made from one of the synthetic
fibres (i.e. acrylic, nylon, etc.). So if your floors do not have a vapor
barrier properly installed, the floor covering will act like a giant sponge,
sucking up moisture from the floor/ground. If your building does not have the
relative humidity controlled, the natural fibre floor covering will make it
even more complicated to control. Mould/mildew spores will love it and flourish
with abandon….ugh…especially on the side in direct contact with the floor and
away from the light (mould/mildew is considered a ‘pest’, right?).

Any finish applied to a floor covering, whether fire retardant or stain
repellency, will be rubbed off as the floor covering is walked on/have stuff
dragged across it. Meaning it would have to be reapplied periodically. So the
carrier fluid would be contaminating the space again, whether water (raising
the RH in the environment) or some other fluid which would off-gas in to the
space as it dries.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you need further clarification.
Regards,
Meg
.   _  _  _  _  _  _  _   _ _   ___________
Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator &
Collections Management Consultant
Professional Associate - AIC
707-763-8694
mgmoo...@moonware.net<mailto:mgmoo...@moonware.net>

I am writing about the choice of floor covering requested by the Director's
Office at our art museum.  They are interested in installing either Sisal or
Wool sisal in the Directors office.  There will also be two or three
accessioned paintings exhibited in this space as well.  I am concerned about
the tastiness of both of these choices (sisal and wool sisal) to potential
critters.  The Director's office is in a different corridor than the art
collections however I am concerned about creating a potentially amiable
environment for pests in general within the museum.  What do people think?
Should I continue to advocate for synthetic flooring options which have
heretofore not been of interest unfortunately?  I do not believe that they will
be using a foam pad under the rug which is a good thing to avoid any potential
off-gassing of the foam.  I am also concerned that a fire retardant applied to
the sisal may be necessary from a safety point of view.  I will off course
follow-up with an exam of the MSDS sheet of the fire retardant.  But basically
my question has to do with whether or not a large expanse of sisal is of
concern to nearby collections on display.  I don't want to be a PEST!

email to imail...@museumpests.net<mailto:imail...@museumpests.net> with this
command in the body:

set mode digest pestlist

Any problems email l...@collectionpests.com<mailto:l...@collectionpests.com> or