Neil

Providing an "air tight" seal for a large tub is far more challenging
than snapping a gasketed lid onto a small box. For a truly air tight
solution, you should consider a flexible (plastic) envelope.  I don't
think you will find a large, truly air tight container at reasonable
cost.

If you decide to bag the artifact(s), you need to consider the materials
used to make the bag, and your expectations. Are you simply protecting
from air currents and dust (short term work like freezing or
construction dust protection)? Will offgassing from the plastic (or its
plasticizers) be a hazard? Are you concerned about
chemicals/odours/moisture permeating the bag (in or out)?  Would it be
useful to create an anoxic environment?

If storage is temporary, you will have few worries, but if it is a long
term application, it would be worthwhile to investigate barrier films
and heat sealers.

js

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems
800 683 4696  www.keepsafe.ca i...@keepsafe.ca
Specializing in the design, procurement, and installation of
environmental control systems in museums and archives.