Hi Stefano,

On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:40 AM, Stefano Zampini
<stefano.zamp...@gmail.com<mailto:stefano.zamp...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Richard,

what are the performances you get with MATSELL in PFLOTRAN?

For PFLOTRAN and many other examples, the SELL-based MatMult is usually 2X
faster than AIJ (non-inode version).

Today, I run the SELL matrix for the first time on a KNL with different
problems (using PetIGA)  and got the results attached.
It seems that SELL is faster then AIJ for 2D Poisson, and slightly faster for
3D Poisson. However, for multi-component problems (i.e. Elasticity and
Cahn-Hilliard in mixed formulation) it has comparable performances or slower.
in these cases AIJ is faster since it uses the inodes routines.

Is this expected?

This is expected since currently SELL hasn't been optimized for multi-component
problem (there is no inode version for SELL yet).

These are the flags I used to compile PETSc on KNL --COPTFLAGS=-xMIC-AVX512 -O3
-mP2OPT_hpo_vec_remainder=F;

If you are using intel compiler 18, the flag -mP2OPT_hpo_vec_remainder=F is not
needed. But it is necessary for older versions of intel compiler.

Hong (Mr.)

<rtmi...@anl.gov<mailto:rtmi...@anl.gov>>:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Smith, Barry F.
<bsm...@mcs.anl.gov<mailto:bsm...@mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Stefano Zampini
> <stefano.zamp...@gmail.com<mailto:stefano.zamp...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Barry,
>
> for sure Amat,Pmat is the right approach; however, with complicated user
> codes, we are not always in control of having a different Jacobian matrix.
> Since Mat*SELL does not currently support any preconditioning except PCSOR
> and PCJACOBI, we ask the user to put codes like
>
> if (type is SELL)
>  create two matrices (and maybe modify the code in many other parts)
> else
>   ok with the previous code

   I don't disagree with what you are saying and am not opposed to the proposed
work.

   Perhaps we need to do a better job with making the mat,pmat approach simpler
or better documented so more people use it naturally in their applications.

I wrote some code like that in some of the Jacobian/function routines in
PFLOTRAN to experiment with MATSELL, and it works, but looks and feels pretty
hacky. And if I wanted to support it for all of the different systems that
PFLOTRAN can model, then I'd have to reproduce that it in many different
Jacobian and function evaluation routines. I also don't like that it makes it
awkward to play with the many combinations of matrix types and preconditioners
that PETSc allows: The above pseudocode should really say "if (type is SELL)
and (preconditioner is not PCSOR or PCJACOBI)". I do think that Amat,Pmat is a
good approach in many situations, but it's easy to construct scenarios in which
it falls short.

In some situations, what I'd like to have happen is what Stefano is talking
about, with an automatic conversion to AIJ happening if SELL doesn't support an
operation. But, ideally, I think this sort of implicit format conversion
shouldn't be something hard-coded into the workings of SELL. Instead, there
should be some general mechanism by which PETSc recognizes that a particular
operation is unsupported for a given matrix format, and then it can
(optionally) copy/convert to a different matrix type (probably default to AIJ,
but it shouldn't have to be AIJ) that supports the operation. This sort of
implicit data rearrangement game may actually become more important if future
computer architectures strongly prefer different data layouts different types
of operations (though let's not get ahead of ourselves).

--Richard

    Barry

--
Stefano