Hi Stefano,

When using MATSELL for a PFLOTRAN simulation of a variably-saturated flow
problem (Richards equation) on a KNL box and running in MCDRAM, I see about
a 2X speedup in MatMult() vs. MATAIJ (using double-precision). This problem
has only one degree of freedom in each grid cell, and is using a
first-order finite volume spatial discretization, with a regular grid of
cuboid elements -- so the Jacobian basically has a 7-point stencil
structure. This is the sort of short row-length matrix for which I expect
MATSELL to do well.

If I run something like a reactive chemistry problem on the same grid with,
say, 12 primary chemical species -- so 12 degrees of freedom per grid cell
-- then MATSELL doesn't provide any benefit, and MATBAIJ is the thing to
use, as one would expect.

I haven't experimented very thoroughly with it (hmm... should probably do
such experiments), but I believe that, once matrix rows become sufficiently
long, then SELL doesn't provide an advantage over AIJ. This mattered more
for older vector processors that had much longer vector lengths (something
like 64 doubles) compared to the "long" vectors that KNL or Skylake server
has (8 doubles).

Best regards,
Richard