Thanks for your great note, Dave. Yeah! I would be able to at least view the
edge values, although I could not specify the data. Previously I searched in
points data, I now view the values by Surface With Edges option.

From: Dave May [mailto:dave.mayhe...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:37 AM
To: Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com>
Cc: Mohammad Hassan Baghaei <mhbagh...@mail.sjtu.edu.cn>; PETSc
<petsc-users@mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] Accessing a field values of Staggered grid

On 13 February 2018 at 21:17, Matthew Knepley <knep...@gmail.com
<mailto:knep...@gmail.com> > wrote:

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Mohammad Hassan Baghaei
<mhbagh...@mail.sjtu.edu.cn <mailto:mhbagh...@mail.sjtu.edu.cn> > wrote:

Hi

I am filling the local vector from dm , has a section layout. The thing is I
want to know how I can see the field variable values defined on edges, the
staggered grid. In fact, Whenever I output to VTK in preview, I would be able
to see the main grid. But the values which are defined on edges, I could not
see them and that makes me unsure about the way I fill the local vector. How I
would be babe to check the field value on staggered grid?

VTK does not have a way to specify data on edges, only on cells or vertices.

This is not entirely true.

At least for a staggered grid, where you have one DOF per edge, you can
represent the edge data via the type VTK_VERTEX.

You won't generate a beautiful picture, as your field will be rendered as a set
of points (your edge faces) - but you can at least inspect the values within
ParaView.

Thanks,

  Dave

  Thanks,

    Matt

Thanks

Amir

--

What most experimenters take for granted before they begin their experiments is
infinitely more interesting than any results to which their experiments lead.