Do you want to write a new code using only PETSc or would you be up for
collaborating on ceed-fluids, which is a high-performance compressible SUPG
solver based on DMPlex with good GPU support? It uses the metric to compute
covariant length for stabilization. We have YZƁ shock capturing, though it
hasn't been tested much beyond shock tube experiments. (Most of our work has
been low Mach.)

https://libceed.org/en/latest/examples/fluids/
https://github.com/CEED/libCEED/blob/main/examples/fluids/qfunctions/stabilization.h#L76