I don't see an attachment, but his thesis used conservative variables and
defined an effective length scale in a way that seemed to assume constant shape
function gradients. I'm not aware of systematic literature comparing the
covariant and contravariant length measures on anisotropic meshes, but I
believe most people working in the Shakib/Hughes approach use the covariant
measure. Our docs have a brief discussion of this choice.

https://libceed.org/en/latest/examples/fluids/#equation-eq-peclet

Matt, I don't understand how the second derivative comes into play as a length
measure on anistropic meshes -- the second derivatives can be uniformly zero
and yet you still need a length measure.