On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:52:40PM +0100, Srebrenko Sehic wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:34:13PM +0100, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:
> >
> > But it would be worth carefully looking at the currently shared modules,
> > and sorting all functions and shared globals to into either shared or
> > private modules. Whether you put the shared code into a library or just
> > link an object file from pfctl is then just a detail. :)
>
> If we leave out all the technical challenges involved, the real question
> is if the pf developers find this idea useful at all? The only way libpf
> whould ever be a hit is if it was developed/maintained in the official tree.
> Otherwise, libpf maintainer would need to do spend a lot of time
> figuring out the changes happening to pf, pfctl, authpf, etc.
>
> How often do pf(4) structures changes? 5 times a week? IMHO, it would be
> a mission impossible to maintain it externally.

Right now things are changing too fast. I had to stop working on pftop
or risk losing my sanity ;) (Ouch! it is broken again, I will make a new
release in a week). I think we need a 'pf version' incremented with
api/structure changes. That would really make maintaining portable code
MUCH easier.

In  pftop I only duplicate state/rule printing functions so I have not needed
a general purpose library (yet). Though I believe it would be useful if
designed/implemented correctly.

Can