On 07/25/2006 08:46:49 PM, Alex Thurlow wrote:

We currently have 2 links that are shared via BGP. One is an OC-12, and the other is 100Mb ethernet.

Under just a normal BGP setup, our 100Mb line would be saturated as it attempted to send traffic there based on routing distance.

  My question
is, is there a way to share these 2 lines and not saturate the smaller one?

There's probably a way to use the "probability" parameter
in conjunction with "route-to", especially if you're doing
policy based routing.  However, that's off the top of my head.
I've not tried any such thing and am a BGP noob so can't say
what the interactions are there.  Seems to me you might need
to abandon BGP.  If so, one way to go is to partition the internet
with 2 static routes, and poke at it with a stick until
you get the bandwidth balance right.

Also, it's not clear to me how you're going to keep the
inbound traffic from saturating the link, unless you're
nat-ting or something and do the "probability" with that.

Regards,

Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein