* Alex Thurlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-07-26 06:11]:
> New to the list, and with a question I can't seem to find an answer to
> anywhere else.  A little preface - I have recently switched jobs, so I
> am in a new network situation.  There are some upcoming changes, and I
> wish to switch from our current Linux router to OpenBSD-pf.
>
> We currently have 2 links that are shared via BGP.  One is an OC-12, and
> the other is 100Mb ethernet.  The reason we have lines of unmatched
> speed is that we could get the 100Mb cheap and are wanting to test the
> usefulness of multihoming.
>
> Under just a normal BGP setup, our 100Mb line would be saturated as it
> attempted to send traffic there based on routing distance.  Because of
> this, there are IPtables rules that count how many pps are going on the
> 100Mb line, and if there are over a certain amount, they mangle the
> packets and send them over the OC-12 instead.  In this way, we are able
> to share these 2 lines of differing bandwidth.

I would just play with local-preference based on source AS for a few big
ASes to move them to the OC-12 line and do that until the usage is
somewhat balanced.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de