I have a firewall running on my gateway.  I also have a home mailserver

on my lan on which I decided to place its own firewall.  I am now
getting disconnections from incoming SMTP traffic.  I figure it is due
the TCP handshake not properly being set up but if someone can fill in
the details I would be happy.

Here are some pertinent pf.conf lines:

gateway,

nat on $EXT from $LAN_clients to any -> $EXT
rdr on $EXT proto tcp from any to ($EXT) port 2525 -> $MAIL port 2525
pass in on $EXT inet proto tcp from any to $MAIL port 2525 flags S/SA

mailserver,

pass in on $EXT inet proto tcp from any to $EXT port 2525