On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:12:23 +0200, Pieter David <pieter.da...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear pgfplots experts,
>
> I want to draw a scatter plot with asymmetric error bars. I can get those
> by drawing first the markers and the "plus" direction error bars, and
> then
> only the "minus" direction error bars, using the same x and y values but
> different errors - but that looks a bit more complicated than it needs to
> be.
> Is there a nice way to do this with one \addplot command, or would it be
> easy to add? I have never done any programming/scripting in TeX, but
> given
> some pointers to where something needs to be changed, I could always try.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pieter

According to a previous thread in this list it seems is still not possible:

https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4EFB8608.70904%40googlemail.com&forum_name=pgfplots-features

But I think that playing a little bit with Jake's answer in next question
you could find a solution:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3983/can-i-use-pgfplots-to-make-a-boxplot

Hope it helps,

Ignasi