I wrote:
> One problem with the rightarrow idea is that it's not rendering quite
> right for me: it looks great in HTML, but in PDF it comes out flush
> with the baseline, as you can see in the screenshot.  Hopefully
> there's a way to fix that that we can hide in the custom entity ...
> but I have no idea how.

I poked at this a little bit, and found that I could get a pretty
decent-looking result if I hacked the .fo file to contain
"<fo:inline baseline-shift="10%">→</fo:inline>" rather than a bare
right arrow.  (See attached screenshot, wherein the last rightarrow
was fixed this way but the others weren't.)  However, I do not
have much of a clue as to how such a fix might be injected into
our stylesheets --- anybody have a suggestion?

                        regards, tom lane