On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 03/01/2018 12:32 PM, Daevor The Devoted wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>> On 03/01/2018 11:47 AM, Daevor The Devoted wrote:

>>> that could be useful
>>> the other rows with
>>> such tables though,
>>> inserting rows with
>>>
>>> I routinely add surrogate keys like serial col to a table already having
>>> a nice candidate keys
>>> to make it easy to join tables.  SQL starts looking ungainly when you
>>> have a 3 col primary
>>> key and need to join it with child tables.
>>>

>> I was always of the opinion that a mandatory surrogate key (as you
>> describe) is good practice.
>> Sure there may be a unique key according to business logic (which may be
>> consist of those "ungainly" multiple columns), but guess what, business
>> logic changes, and then you're screwed!
>>

>> And so you drop the existing index and build a new one.  I've done it
>> before, and I'll do it again.
>>
>> So using a primary key whose sole purpose is to be a primary key makes
>> perfect sense to me.
>>

>> I can't stand synthetic keys.  By their very nature, they're so
>> purposelessly arbitrary, and allow you to insert garbage into the table.
>>

> Could you perhaps elaborate on how a surrogate key allows one to insert
> garbage into the table? I'm afraid I don't quite get what you're saying.
>

> If your only unique index is a synthetic key, then you can insert the same
> "business data" multiple times with different synthetic keys.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

That might be where we're talking past each other: I do not advocate for
the arbitrary primary key being the only unique index. Absolutely not.
Whatever the business rules say is unique must also have unique indexes. If
it's a business constraint on the data, it must be enforced in the DB (at
least, that's how I try to do things).