Greetings,

* Ghislain ROUVIGNAC (g...@sylob.com) wrote:
> Our application don't write lot of data, so i don't think the time taken on
> replaying the WAL will be an issue for us.

That certainly makes things simpler.

Then again, if you are not writing a lot of data then you might consider
using synchronous replication with PostgreSQL if you want to have a
durability guarantee which is across multiple otherwise independent
systems.  You can then also combine that with a proper backup solution
(please, do not try and build your own) and WAL archiving and be able to
perform PITR (point-in-time-recovery), which snapshots don't give you.

> For reliability, as you said, i was thinking in running a large pgbench
> which writes a lot of data, while taking snapshots.
> Then my idea was to restart from snapshots and see if everything works as
> expected.

Sure, testing is good and should be done regardless of what solution you
employ.

> I thought that based on the feedback from the community, maybe i wouldn't
> need to run these tests.

You should always run your own tests, and do them regularly, including
testing things like "am I able to restore this backup?", "am I able to
fail over to this other server?", etc.

Thanks!

Stephen