ne 13. 2. 2022 v 10:45 odesílatel Guyren Howe <guy...@gmail.com> napsal:

> The MySQL autocomplete is designed without context filtering. Maybe we can
> have this implementation too (as alternative)
>
> so using all column names + all table names + aliases.column names (when
> we know defined alias)
>
> Another idea about column excluding. Any implementation on the client side
> is very complex, because you need to parse sql. But maybe we can enhance
> SQL with some syntax.
>
> SELECT ... and LAST optional clause can be HIDE, OR EXCLUDE NAME or
> EXCLUDE TYPE
>
> SELECT * FROM postgistab HIDE TYPE LIKE 'wkb%'
> SELECT * FROM postgistab ORDER BY ... EXCLUDE COLUMN LIKE 'shape%'
>
> WITH x AS (SELECT * FROM xx)
> SELECT * FROM x EXCLUDE COLUMN x1,x2
>
> The column excluding should be separate *last* clase.
>
> More with this syntax is less possibility of collision with ANSI SQL
>
> Not against this. Seems somewhere in here might be a nice quality of life
> change.
>
> Still.
>
> I originally suggested that SQL is terrible and we should fearlessly
> either replace it or migrate it toward something better. And the thread
> winds up with a debate about a minor change to a development tool.
>
> I’m back to just having no earthly idea why anyone who finds relations to
> be a productive tool for building a model would think that SQL being the
> only means to do that is Okay.

I think the rating of data langues is very subjective, and I am happy with
SQL more than with special languages like D or Quel, or other. I know SQL
has a lot of disadvantages, but it was designed for humans and it works for
me.

I don't think using a special query language needs some special interface
in Postgres. You can use COBOL with SQL databases today, The overhead of
some middle layers should be low.

But there can be a valid second question - it can be nice to use extensions
with availability to define their own communication protocol. Postgres has
a special protocol for replication or for backup. With this possibility you
can do what you need without the necessity of an external application
server.

Regards

Pavel