You can use a DO block or write a function do to this.

It takes some practice (and you need to use EXECUTE FORMAT())

If users need to be able to change their own users, something like this
works:

CREATE FUNCTION change_my_password(in_password, text)
returns void language plpgsql as
$$
begin
   EXECUTE FORMAT($F$ALTER USER $I WITH PASSWORD %L$F$, session_user,
in_password);
end;
$$ SECURITY DEFINER;

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more