On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Nathan Wilhelmi wrote:

are the out of the box configs pretty good or are there any recommended changes I should be making to start with?

The out of the box configuration is wildly inappropriate for your system, and there are few examples of something appropriate to point you at--much of the information floating around is out of date for your class of hardware.

See http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pg-5minute.htm for something current to get you started. That will lead you to additional resources you can drill into from there, and includes some disclaimers about what you should ignore in the guides that haven't been updated recently.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq