"Peter Headland" <pheadl...@actuate.com> writes:
> How about my suggestion to add a means (extend COPY syntax) to specify
> encoding explicitly and handle UTF lead bytes - would that be of
> interest?

There are no lead bytes in UTF-8, and we make no pretense of handling
UTF-16, so I don't think we'd be interested in some hack that cleans
up misencoding problems.

The idea of overriding client_encoding has been suggested before.  I
don't remember if it was rejected or is just languishing on the TODO
list.  I'd be a little worried about sending clients data in an encoding
they aren't expecting, but if it only works for I/O to a file it might
be okay.

                        regards, tom lane