Craig Ringer wrote:
On 3/07/2011 6:00 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

out of memory for query result

How is this possible?

Resource limits?

Could this message be generated because of shared memory issues?

The odd thing is the error was generated by a user process, but there is no reference to the error in the database log file.

Do you have a ulimit in place that applies to postgresql? You can check by examining the resource limits of a running postgresql backend as shown in /proc/$PG_PID where $PG_PID is the process ID of the backend of interest.

Check your work_mem in postgresql.conf, too.

work_mem is commented out on both machines, so I suspect that it is then using the default value? What would be the default value?

--
Craig Ringer

--
Until later, Geoffrey