On 08/24/2012 03:46 PM, John D. West wrote:
I have various background processes outside of postgres that need to be
killed and restarted after the server reboots.

      -- John

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Kevin Grittner
<kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov <mailto:kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov>> wrote:

    "John D. West" <john.d.w...@asu.edu <mailto:john.d.w...@asu.edu>> wrote:

     > Sometimes the server process crashes and restarts, usually when I
     > run some large calculations that eat up all available memory.

    You might want to reconfigure to avoid that.

     > Is there any way to detect this and run a cleanup routine when it
     > happens?

    What is it that are you trying to clean up?

    -Kevin

Seems it would be the responsibility of the dependent processes to recognize pg went away, and clean themselves up (as only they know how to do).