On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:09 PM, David G. Johnston <
david.g.johns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan Vanasco <postg...@2xlp.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> *I can't confirm this, but have you tried :*
>>
>> *SELECT set_config('autovacuum', 'off'', false);*
>>
>> *SELECT pg_reload_conf(); *
>>
>> *note: you must be a superuser for above*
>>

> I'm hoping you meant "ALTER SYSTEM" instead of "set_config()"...
>
> ​The documentation on these parameters is unclear:  the only way to change
> the values is to edit postgresql.conf (or on the command line) but there is
> nothing said regarding whether pg_reload_conf() will work for them.  I'd be
> surprised if it did...
>
> If it does - and for other cases where you can, instead of set_config you
> could use "ALTER SYSTEM" and at least avoid having to manually edit the
> config file.  When done simply:
>  ALTER SYSTEM RESET autovacuum;  SELECT pg_reload_conf();
> to get back to normal operation.
>
> David J.

*Yes, you're right about ALTER SYSTER. Unfortunately, the op provided
neither PostgreSQL version or O/S, so we can't even be sure that is *

*an option. That is  why I stated "I cannot confirm".*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you