On 04/22/2017 02:38 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 4/22/2017 2:28 AM, chiru r wrote:
I am using Postgresql 9.5 and I have created*backup_admin* user and
created *dba_admin *ROLE with SUPERUSER and REPLICATION ,after that
GRANT *dba_admin * role   to backup_admin user and executed
 pg_basebakup utility with backup_admin user.

role group membership only inherits object rights, like grant ..... on
table ... to role.   it doesn't inherit role attributes like SUPERUSER,
or REPLICATION.  you need to ALTER ROLE to add these to each role.

The OP did that:

alter user backup_admin set role to dba_admin;

When I followed their steps I got:

aklaver@tito:~> psql -d test -U backup_admin
Null display is "NULL".
psql (9.6.2)
Type "help" for help.

test=# select session_user, current_user;
 session_user | current_user
--------------+--------------
 backup_admin | dba_admin
(1 row)

test=# \drds
             List of settings
     Role     | Database |    Settings
 backup_admin |          | role=dba_admin

aklaver@tito:~> pg_basebackup -p 5432 -h 127.0.0.1 -U backup_admin -D pg_test/
Password:
pg_basebackup: could not connect to server: FATAL: must be superuser or replication role to start walsender

So I would also be interested in knowing why it does not work?

Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com