Doesn't work:

- psql -U postgres
 > psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

- psql -U postgres -W
 > psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

Would appreciate some insights. Where's the step by step guide to make
this work? Cpanel/WHM and Plesk are THE most widespread control
panels, and I see zilch on postgresql.org that addresses them.

Maybe this is why MySQL is popular. The thing just works! (Which is
all one needs in 99% of simple webbie cases).

Thanks in advance!