On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Badrul Chowdhury <bac...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the comprehensive review! We are very much in the early stages
> of contributing to the PG community and we clearly have lots to learn, but we
> look forward to becoming proficient and active members of the pg community.
>
> Regarding the patch, I have tested it extensively by hand and it works great.

I spent a little more time looking at this patch today.  I think that
the patch should actually send NegotiateProtocolVersion when *either*
the requested version is differs from the latest one we support *or*
an unsupported protocol option is present.  Otherwise, you only find
out about unsupported protocol options if you also request a newer
minor version, which isn't good, because it makes it hard to add new
protocol options *without* bumping the protocol version.

Here's an updated version with that change and a proposed commit message.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company