Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
> That's true, and I agree we don't necessarily have to find everything.
> I still think we should print the pg_depend query in the relnotes,
> because those would be the most common cases of objects that need to be
> rebuilt.

Wait. A. Minute.  This patch seems totally unacceptable for backpatching.

>> Since behavior of ~> (cube, int) operator is changed, depending entities
>> must be refreshed after upgrade. Such as, expression indexes using this
>> operator must be reindexed, materialized views must be rebuilt, stored
>> procedures and client code must be revised to correctly use new behavior.
>> That should be mentioned in release notes.

Was there any real discussion of whether we could get away with that
in the back branches?  My opinion is no.  It's not even clear to me
that this is acceptable in HEAD --- isn't it going to create huge
problems for pg_upgrade?

Perhaps some solution to the compatibility problems could be found
based on giving the cube extension a new version number, and applying
the behavioral change only upon doing ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE.  But
it doesn't look like the patch even bumped the extension's version
number.

I do not think this patch was ready to commit.

                        regards, tom lane