On 2018/01/11 21:46, Michael Paquier wrote:
I'm surprised we haven't heard any complaints sooner if there are
advisors using that hook[1] and expecting to be able to forward to
ExplainOnePlan(), but I suppose it would nearly always works to call
ExplainOnePlan() with NULL as queryEnv.  It'd currently only be
non-NULL for trigger functions running SQL to access transition
tables, which is a bit obscure: you'd need to run EXPLAIN inside a
suitable trigger function (though in future there might be more ways
to create named tuplestore relations).

It seems to me that QueryEnv should be pushed to the hook, but only on
HEAD. You surely don't want to break people's extensions after a minor
upgrade.

Thanks guys! :)

I also surprised that there is no complaint from extension creators.
I suppose that if possible, it would be better to create a unit test
for the hook function to avoid the same bug because there is no contrib
module using ExplainOneQuery_hook in contrib directory.
(It might unnecessary thing, maybe.)

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada