On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:03 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> wrote:
> It certainly is common. In the case of logtape.c, we almost always
> write out some garbage bytes, even with serial sorts. The only
> difference here is the *sense* in which they're garbage: they're
> uninitialized bytes, which Valgrind cares about, rather than byte from
> previous writes that are left behind in the buffer, which Valgrind
> does not care about.

/me face-palms.

So, I guess another option might be to call VALGRIND_MAKE_MEM_DEFINED
on the buffer.  "We know what we're doing, trust us!"

In some ways, that seems better than inserting a suppression, because
it only affects the memory in the buffer.

Anybody else want to express an opinion here?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company