On 02/15/2018 09:28 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 11:01 PM, Ildus Kurbangaliev
<i.kurbangal...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Hi,

Attached patch adds 'autovacuum_table_priority' to the current list of
automatic vacuuming settings. It's used in sorting of vacuumed tables in
autovacuum worker before actual vacuum.

The idea is to give possibility to the users to prioritize their tables
in autovacuum process.

Hmm, I couldn't understand the benefit of this patch. Would you
elaborate it a little more?

Multiple autovacuum worker can work on one database. So even if a
table that you want to vacuum first is the back of the list and there
other worker would pick up it. If the vacuuming the table gets delayed
due to some big tables are in front of that table I think you can deal
with it by increasing the number of autovacuum workers.

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Database can contain thousands of tables and often updates/deletes concentrate mostly in only a handful of tables.
Going through thousands of less bloated tables can take ages.
Currently autovacuum know nothing about prioritizing it`s work with respect to user`s understanding of his data and application. Also It`s would be great to sort tables according to dead/live tuple ratio and relfrozenxid.

--
Grigory Smolkin
The Russian Postgres Company