On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 10:27, Dave Cramer <davecra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be useful to test with the JDBC driver

> We run into issues with many pool implementations due to our opinionated
nature

Absolutely.

And Java developers frequently have a further opinionated nature on this...

A bunch of Java frameworks include connection pools...

1.  BoneCP, which claims to be the "tuned to be fast" one
http://jolbox.com/

2.  Apache Commons DBCP, which is the "we're Apache, we're everywhere!" one
http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/

3.  c3p0 - easy-to-add Connection Pool
http://www.mchange.com/projects/c3p0

One of the things that they find likable is that by having the connection
pool live
in the framework alongside the application is that this makes it easy to
attach
hooks so that the pool can do intelligent things based on application-aware
logic.

When we're in "DB server centric" mindset, we'll have some particular ideas
as
to what a pool ought to be able to do; if that doesn't include their ideas
at all,
it'll lead to the Java guys thinking that what we have is quaint and
uninteresting.

I suspect that this disconnect and somewhat "great divide" is an extra
reason
why proposals to bring connection pooling into core don't get too far.