Hello Peter,

I had noticed that most getopt() or getopt_long() calls had their letter lists in pretty crazy orders. There might have been occasional attempts at grouping, but those then haven't been maintained as new options were added. To restore some sanity to this, I went through and ordered them alphabetically.

I agree that a more or less random historical order does not make much sense.

For pgbench, ISTM that sorting per functionality then alphabetical would be better than pure alphabetical because it has 2 modes. Such sections might be (1) general (2) connection (3) common/shared (4) initialization and (5) benchmarking, we some comments on each.

What do you think? If okay, I'll send you a patch for that.

--
Fabien.