On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I admit I am more concerned about the possibility of bugs than I am
> about providing a performance-related tool.

I agree that if partition pruning has bugs, somebody might want to
turn it off.  On the other hand, when they do, there's a good chance
that they will lose so much performance that they'll still be pretty
sad.  Somebody certainly could have a workload where the pruning
helps, but by a small enough amount that shutting it off is
acceptable.  But I suspect that's a somewhat narrow target.

I'm not going to go to war over this, though.  I'm just telling you
what I think.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company