On 1/16/23 21:39, Pavel Stehule wrote:

po 16. 1. 2023 v 21:34 odesílatel Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com> napsal:

    Hi,

    there's minor bitrot in the Mkvcbuild.pm change, making cfbot unhappy.

    As for the patch, I don't have much comments. I'm wondering if it'd be
    useful to indicate which timing source was actually used for EXPLAIN
    ANALYZE, say something like:

     Planning time: 0.197 ms
     Execution time: 0.225 ms
     Timing source: clock_gettime (or tsc)

    There has been a proposal to expose this as a GUC (or perhaps as
    explain
    option), to allow users to pick what timing source to use. I
    wouldn't go
    that far - AFAICS is this is meant to be universally better when
    available. But knowing which source was used seems useful.

+1

Thanks for looking at the patch.

I'll fix the merge conflict.

I like the idea of exposing the timing source in the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output.
It's a good tradeoff between inspectability and effort, given that RDTSC should always be better to use.
If there are no objections I go this way.

--
David Geier
(ServiceNow)